Alarplasty is also known as Alaplasty, in this plastic surgery procedure, a wedge of the lower lateral surface of the nose is removed to modify the shape of the nose. There are many people who are not satisfied with the appearance of their nostrils either they are very wide or extremely small. Some of them get the treatment for fulfilling cosmetic goals while others choose this for medical and functional reasons.
Aim of the treatment
The treatment aims to make significant changes in the appearance of the nose by increasing or decreasing the size of nostrils. It can be done alone or in conjunction with rhinoplasty or non surgical nose job. Its procedure is quite simple and very few side effects are associated with it. On a frontal view, wide nostrils disturb the facial balance because it distracts other features.
The candidate of this surgical procedure must fulfill the following criteria and conditions
- He/she must be 18 or above
- Must be in physically fit and mentally stable
- Must have practical and realistic expectations about the outcomes of the procedure
- You want to instantly refine your look
Difference between Rhinoplasty and Alarplasty
Rhinoplasty is a complex procedure that is done to eliminate the depressions and bumps of a crooked nose, and also it deals with all the aesthetic and medical issues of the nose. On the other hand, Alarplasty is a simple cosmetic procedure carried out to decrease the size of flaring nostrils. Sometimes, the surgeon performs Alarplasty along with rhinoplasty for enjoying the added benefits of the treatment.
When Alarplasty is done alone, the patient does not require general anesthesia but when carried out with traditional rhinoplasty procedures, general anesthesia is compulsory.
- Inform your surgeon about your allergies, infections and current medications (if you are taking any)
- Do not take aspirin, ibuprofen and other blood-thinning medications 7 days before the surgery
- Before the surgery, make sure you have ice cubes and ice packs at home
- Discontinue taking vitamin E oil one day before the surgery
- Stop smoking and avoid drinking alcoholic beverages 2 weeks prior to the treatment
Procedure of Alarplasty
Alarplasty is a simple procedure that requires an hour for its completion. The procedure is carried out under local anesthesia for avoiding discomfort and pain. The surgeon starts the procedure by making a small incision at the point where the nasal walls connect the cheeks. Through this incision, fat deposit, skin, and muscle is trimmed and then excised. He finally reattaches the nostrils to the base of the nose with the help of sutures. In some cases, the surgeon repositions the nostrils as well. The same steps are performed on the other nostril as well to make them symmetrical. The scars produced by the surgery are fully hidden with the creases of nasal walls. Most of the surgeons prefer using dissolvable stitches for fast healing and recovery.
You will require 5 to 6 days to recover from Alarplasty in Islamabad. You are obligated to follow all the below-listed instructions after the surgery, it will speed up the healing process.
- If you feel any discomfort or burning on the treated site, apply recommended cold compressors only.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages for 2 to 3 weeks
- When you sleep, sleep with your head elevated to 90 degrees to avoid accidentally turning over on your nose.
- Avoid unnecessary touching and do not apply any pressure on your nose
- No strenuous exercise for 2 weeks
- Take medications as per your doctor’s advice
What are the side-effects that may occur?
Although the surgery is very safe still it has some minor side-effects such as headache, bruising, pain, numbness, etc. Almost all the candidates face these complications but there is no need to worry about them, they will fade away in a week or two. Generally, 3 weeks are enough for the candidates to resume their normal candidates.
Book a free consultation
If you want to have a perfect size of your nostrils at an affordable cost without suffering from botched results, then you can consider Alarplasty in Islamabad and Rawalpindi. For more details of the treatment, you are requested to fill in our online consultation form to book an appointment with one of our experts.