Malocclusion, or the misalignment of your teeth, which can cause problems with your oral health, includes overlapping teeth. Some people might only have one tooth that overlaps, such as a crooked tooth. On the other hand, some people could have several overlapping teeth. You may think that Is it normal for top teeth to overlap bottom teeth? It depends; some people don’t bother themselves, but it can be a big problem for some people.
In this blog post, we are going to discuss the causes of overlapped teeth, the right treatment, and many more. So, take a moment and read the following details if you are really concerned about it.
Cause Of Overlap Teeth:
Generally, there are several reasons why people have overlapping teeth; either these are top or bottom teeth. So, the common and major causes that are reported are mentioned below
- Crowding and shifting of teeth occur when the mouth is too small to fit the teeth. Mostly genetics is to blame for it.
- When someone has extra teeth, the pressure on their front teeth is often too great, which can lead to an overlap of the teeth in the front.
- An overbite or an underbite could occur if the upper and lower jaws aren’t the same size.
- They may overlap due to missing teeth, uncommon situations that prevent natural tooth emergence, and other factors.
- Thumb sucking and other activities like frequent bottle use might cause teeth to overlap or line up incorrectly.
- The structure of teeth is frequently impacted by oral health issues, such as gingivitis or tumors in the mouth and jaw, which can lead to misaligned teeth.
- Another well-known cause of overlapping teeth is improperly performed dental restorations, including fillings and crowns.
- Teeth misalignment may also occur a jaw injury. Even wisdom teeth have been known to cause teeth to overlap sometimes.
According to SKN Cosmetic Clinic, suitable treatments are available for treating and fixing overlapping teeth. Some specific types of procedures are mentioned below
Sometimes, sculpting can be used to fix minor cases of overlapping bottom teeth or front teeth. The orthodontist uses a drill or laser to lessen overlapping and provide adequate space for the troublesome teeth. However, this technique could weaken the teeth.
It is one of the most time-tested and reliable methods for treating overlapping bottom teeth or front teeth. Today, there are many different kinds of braces available. Depending on aesthetics, cost, comfort, etc., you can choose between lingual braces, which are attached to the back of your teeth, and traditional metal braces.
The front of teeth is covered with tiny molds called dental veneers. They are fitted onto the damaged teeth after being appropriately sculpted and are designed to match the color of your original teeth. Unfortunately, they are a little pricey and are used to treat various orthodontic problems.
One of the most popular orthodontic procedures today for correcting misaligned teeth, particularly overlapping teeth, is using these aligners. Because of their many benefits, people prefer them to braces. They consist of a set of transparent or plastic trays that have been specially made to fit your teeth exactly.
They can be removed easily, are practical, cozy, and essentially undetectable. Despite being a bit more expensive than traditional braces, Invisalign braces are a worthwhile investment for a beautiful smile. They might not be the best solution, nevertheless, to fix significant overlapping issues.
The Bottom Line!
Therefore, if you are still confused about; whether Is it normal for top teeth to overlap bottom teeth? Then you can talk to our expert dental practitioner, who will let you know everything about such issues and recommend you a suitable treatment. We always try to understand your problem and provide the best treatment options and instructions.