A number of clinical trials have found HIFU to be safe and effective for facial lifting and refining wrinkles. Most people are able to see the results in a few months after treatment, without any risks associated with surgery. This procedure is also suitable for facial rejuvenation, lifting, tightening, and body contouring.
HIFU uses dedicated ultrasound energy to target the layers of skin just below the surface. The ultrasound energy causes the tissue to heat up fast. Once the cells in the targeted area reach a certain temperature, they experience cellular impairment. While this may seem contradictory, the damage actually inspires the cells to produce more collagen.
The increase in collagen results in tighter and firmer skin with very few wrinkles. The high-frequency ultrasound rays are focused on a targeted tissue site under the surface of the skin; hence no damage is done to the upper layers of the skin and neighboring tissue.
HIFU procedure works best on people who are older than 30 with mild-to-moderate skin laxity.
People with photodamaged skin or having a large amount of loose skin may need several treatments before noticing the results.
Benefits of High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU):
HIFU and other nonsurgical alternatives use for facelifts have seen a major increase in acceptance over the last few years. HIFU has many aesthetic benefits of HIFU that include:
- reduction in wrinkles
- tightening of sagging skin on the neck
- lifting the cheeks, eyebrows, and eyelids
- enhancing jawline
- tightening of the neckline
- smoothing the skin
What does HIFU Feel Like?
You may encounter slight uneasiness during a HIFU procedure. Some people term it as tiny electric pulses or a light prickly feeling. If you are concerned about pain, your doctor may suggest ibuprofen (Advil), prior to treatment.
Immediately after the treatment, you may experience slight redness or swelling, which will gradually move away within the next few hours.
HIFU for Face Procedure:
There is no extraordinary preparation required before having a HIFU procedure. You should remove all makeup and skincare products from the target area prior to the treatment.
Here are the expected things that you will experience at your appointment:
- A physician first cleans the target area.
- He may apply a topical anesthetic cream before the procedure.
- The physician then applies an ultrasound gel.
- The HIFU device is placed alongside the skin.
- Using an ultrasound viewer, the physician bends the device in the right setting.
- Ultrasound energy is then distributed to the target area in the form of short pulses for approximately 30 to 90 minutes.
- Then the device is removed.
- If additional treatments are required, your physician will schedule the next treatment.
- While the ultrasound energy is being applied, you might feel slight warmth and tingling sensation. You can take pain medication if it is inconvenient.
- You are free to go home and resume your normal daily activities right after the procedure.
HIFU is considered a safe, effective, and non-invasive procedure for tightening your facial skin. There are no cuts, no scarring, and no recovery time. HIFU is also very less expensive than a facelift. Most people are able to see the complete results within three months after their final treatment session.
Therefore if you are considering a skin tightening and rejuvenating treatment that provides quick, painless, and noninvasive results, then High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) can be an excellent option for you.